Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Forced Downtime

An unattended-to reoccurring sore throat and headache has morphed into an earache and overall lethargic feeling that says, “Stay in bed, do nothing, and get well.” If only that was an option. With multiple projects in progress; community prayer breakfast plans to finalize; my son coming home on leave; a new seminary course starting; schedule invites taking over an upcoming planned desert retreat week; and a budget crisis looming, a leader has no time for an illness laying him or her up – even for a day. Who will take care of “The To Do List,” take the calls, answer the questions, and ensure that all runs smoothly?

As I grumbled all the above thoughts, I shuffled out of bed and found the Airborne Nighttime® hoping that it would calm me down enough to get some additional rest. Breaking the tablet in half (so it would dissolve faster, of course) and pouring the hot water into my Grumpy coffee cup (a gift from my wife and kids – who know me all too well), I watched as the tablet halves, fizzing and spinning wildly, rapidly diminish in size – spending themselves – dissolved into the water. Such heroic sacrifice for my sore, achy body . . .

I thought of all my running around and spending myself on that which I allow to pack my calendar, thinking that I have to be the one to act, to ensure all goes well. All too often I am just like that tablet – although unaware of my actions that cause serious diminishing of my strength and ability to lead appropriately. Spending ourselves for the sake of the organization and unending needs will not necessarily lead to success; at least the type of success we desire. Not every leader can match the harried pace of some who seem to have limitless energy and stamina to work and run at a breakneck speed (my board chairman comes to mind). Sometimes, it is the measured foward movement of the leader, orchestrating rather than driving the organization, who accomplishes the most.

An end-product, big-picture, visionary leader often has the most problem, as he or she strives to slog through the processes to the point of realizing the goal. It’s the forced downtime that frustrates them the most. I am that person . . . who hopes that this fizzled out concoction does its magic and I get some needed rest and healing . . . who needs to learn to trust more when he lacks control and doesn’t see all the answers. Don’t let your organization’s mission, or other attractive activities, spend you wildly. Get some rest, and trust The Leader of all.

No comments: